Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What to do with Independance Day

I've always noticed that there is an amazing lack of Independance Day related praise/worship songs. This year, my Pastor has asked me to make July 6th a patriotic service (that's a given), which is followed by a potluck. This past Sunday, he asked me to also put together some patriotic songs for the potluck.

Now, my problem: there are a total of 6 patriotic songs in our hymnal, and I can find one or two more here and there (at least church-appropriate ones). Doesn't leave all that many to choose from between two separate worship times.

I decided to open the service with a couple good, obligatory patriotic songs, followed by a scripture reading about our spiritual independance through Christ. After the reading is The Church's One Foundation, Amazing Grace, and Doxology. This leaves the rest of the patriotic songs for the potluck.

No comments: